Thursday, March 06, 2014

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Counting the teaspoons

Tuesday

From time to time I am asked by the leaders of our party to entertain a fellow at the Hall. “Give him the best of everything,” they tell me. “Bacon and eggs, shooting, Auld Johnston and so forth. Treat him right and he is good for a cool half million.” It happened under Jeremy Thorpe, it happened with a fellow called Brown under Kennedy, and only the other day Clegg sent someone called Choudhrie to stay. As a loyal Liberal and Liberal Democrat I have always done my best to oblige, but I have learnt that it is wise to count the teaspoons before you wave one of these fellows off.

I mention this last guest to the Revd Hughes when he calls this evening on some matter to do with the fabric of St Asquith’s, but he proves strangely reluctant to discuss the subject.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West, 1906-10.

Earlier in Lord Bonkers' Diary...

Monday: In the shadow of Pendle Hill

No comments: